1. Welcome to the Recumbent Riders International forums.
    You are currently viewing the discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post and reply to topics, communicate privately with other members, download/upload content and access other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
    Join the community today!
    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2013 Smoky Mtn. Recumbent Rally

Discussion in 'Rides, Routes and Events' started by Geyatautsilvsgi, Oct 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealEngr

RealEngr Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    EDGE Koosah
    Name:
    Bill
    As of today we are up to 36 official registrations. We have a few others that are going to sign up in the local area that will tip that over 40.

Last year we got 5 to 10 in the last three weeks. If so, we could see 50 people. At this point Keila and I are going to look into parking, seating management and maybe even moving some talks,etc. outdoors under a tent.

Fortunately we have a big area at the shop that is part of our property. The restaurant next door is talking about supplying tables outside for us and a dedicated server for some of the meals.

Wow. Just wow. Just two weeks ago, Keila and I were wondering if we would even meet numbers from last year. Now are looking at a possible doubling of our attendance from last year. Wow. I just don't know what to say. Keila started this from a suggestion by FrogLegs (Jerry) and it has grown to this in just its second year. Once again I think that Keila is going to create a great time for everyone. We are repeating much of last year and not messing with a recipe that was successful. Now we need to pray for great weather.

We do this because or our love for the recumbent cycling community. We make no money from this. I'm very thankful for the support we are seeing and look forward to seeing everyone here in Tennessee.

I once again want to encourage local riders to come out. It's more than just riding the roads you may get to ride everyday. The fees go to cover the dinner, gifts, and other materials. It's really worth it and probably far less or about the same as you pay for other cycling events.

Bill

2. TNRambler

TNRambler

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    TerraTrike Ramb
    Name:
    Jackie
    Bill & Jacquilla
    I dont see the list of events/locations/info/etc on this web page.
    The registrtion PDF's in the edge engineering website dont open.
    I was on a ride this weekend and another bentrider commented that he might come if he knew more details about the event, but couldnt find details online. I suspect more people would love to come if they knew how cool it was. :)

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

Thanks for the bump.

For the record ... despite what you've heard, I DO shower regularly and am a really nice guy ... once you get past the NY sarcasm :smile:
    Don't care for Mexican food ... so ... no worries.

Hope a nomad surfaces soon ... the suspense is killing me.

4. Geyatautsilvsgi

Geyatautsilvsgi Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    Long distance traveller

I am sorry, but there is no one registered from the northeast.:no9: If someone does I will definitely let you know.

5. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    There has been a tentative agenda/schedule up since Feb but it got lost among all the threads. I had AD "pin" it for me so that folks can find it easily. I will have copies of the FINAL AGENDA at the shop for people to pick up when they check in. In the meantime, the agenda give a good idea of what is happening. Thanks for your comments.:yes9:

6. RealEngr

RealEngr Supporter

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    EDGE Koosah
    Name:
    Bill

Keila, the point was that it is not on the Edge website.....

7. TNRambler

TNRambler

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    TerraTrike Ramb
    Name:
    Jackie
  8. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    Cruzbike Silvio
    Name:
    Lee
    any idea of what the River Road ride is like????

9. Rocketmantn

Rocketmantn Rider

Region:
    East
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Knoxville
    Ride:
    Strada, Corsa
    Name:
    Jon
    River Road ride is basically flat following a river. Beautiful scenery. About 22 miles in this up and back ride. Very easy. One hill. A common local bicycle ride on back roads. Cars expect bicyclists so they watch out of us (usually).

.jpg

10. ValerieP

ValerieP

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    SC
    Ride:
    CatrikeVillager
    Name:
    Valerie
    Good Morning,

Just wondering, on such a short ride, this is a silly thing, but will there be support? I just switched from a trike to a LWB bike and I am still learning!

Although, I will say my first 7 miles or so were an awful lot of fun!

11. coyboy

coyboy

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    AL
    City:
    Grant
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Cafe
    Name:
    Coy Boy
    I dont know about any SAG but I will probably be the slowest one on the ride. I will have a cell phone but Im not sure if it will have good reception inside the Cove. But regardless, worst case senerio, the route will be opened back up to cars in 2 hours from the start of the ride so depending on where the brake down might occur, help should not be a problem, might just have to wait a bit on it. I think it might be a good idea for everyone to have the number of one person to call in case of trouble. Probably Bill or the bike shop (U-Man Power).

12. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    Cruzbike Silvio
    Name:
    Lee
    With me coming from the flatland I figured I would have that title. :biggrin:

13. Geyatautsilvsgi

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    City:
    Seymour
    Ride:
    ?
    Name:
    Geyatautsilvsgi
    There will be a SAG vehicle on the Friday morning ride.

14. coyboy

coyboy

Region:
    NorthEast
    State/Country:
    AL
    City:
    Grant
    Ride:
    Bacchetta Cafe
    Name:
    Coy Boy
    Lee, if your slower than me then your purdy pitiful:no9:....I have barely ridden at all in 6 months and not a lot last summer before the knee injury due to braking my collar bone in the spring (2012) I hurt my knee last fall loading a kayak on my pickup, finally had the meniscus repaired in November, then just as it was getting better this spring I re hurt it. That's my sob story and I'm sticking to it...Sometime I think I'd be better off not trying to exercise...

15. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Region:
    SouthEast
    State/Country:
    TN
    Ride:
    Cruzbike Silvio
    Name:
    Lee
    well I haven't quite the amount of trouble but I had emergency back surgery in October last year. I couldn't really start doing anything exercise wise until February. I've ridden about 450 miles this year so I'm just getting back into it. It was a real wake up call to get off the couch and drop some weight/get back in shape. I'm still hesitant to what they call "mostly flat" because what they call a small hill I'ld call a mountain. :spinny: .....I rode Cades Cove about 10 years ago. It had a few challenging hills but I think it'll be fine. I was just asking about the other one. The only "river road" that I know of up there is inside the park with tons of traffic/blind curves. Glad to hear that's not the place. I can't wait to get out to East Tn. We usually go a couple times a year but didn't last fall due to my surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.